Thursday, February 24, 2011

Baked Chimichangas

I love looking up recipes online on either recipe websites or blogs. The problem is, as great as some of the stuff looks, I figure that by the time I get all the ingredients needed for one recipe I will be out thirty bucks. The recipes that I will include on this blog are all recipes that I have tried myself...and for those of you that live in the real world (on a budget), get ready for the great news.........I get ALL of my  groceries at Wal-mart. I do all my grocery shopping once a week at America's most hated/loved megastore and on average spend around $180. I cook dinner for my family AT LEAST six nights a week (though one of those nights it's frozen pizza), and make breakfast and lunch for myself and my child every day. So the past couple of years, I have learned how to be frugal with cooking. That being said, I also try my best (although it is SOOOO hard when you have a tight  budget AND when you are cooking for a man) to make food that is healthy. Here is a recipe that I made a couple nights ago for the first time, and it was a big hit!

We love mexican food in our family (mine and my husband Eric's date night always ends up being at the local mexican joint, no matter how much we 'consider' trying something else), and this is my healthy and cheap take on chimichangas!

Baked Chimichangas

You will need:

8-10 10 inch flour tortillas
1 large can of refried beans (can't remember the exact amount...but it's not the normal size can, it's the bigger size)
1 onion, diced as finely as possible (i used a food processor, but if you don't own one, don't worry)
1 small can of diced green chiles (usually can be found in close proximity to refried beans)
1 package taco seasoning
1 jar of your favorite salsa
1 package (about 2 cups) shredded cheddar cheese (can use low-fat if you want)
about 2 tablespoons of melted butter  (or you can use butter-flavored pam if you want)
sour cream, if desired 

1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and grease a large cookie sheet
2. Mix beans and taco seasoning in a large bowl. I microwaved my beans in the bowl a little first to make them easier to mix with
3. Spoon some of the bean mixture, green chiles, salsa, onion, and cheese into each tortilla. The beans should really be the main ingredient, with probably 2-3 large tablespoons in each tortilla, and maybe 1-2 teaspoons of each of the other ingredients...just use your best judgement, but make sure you don't put any stuffing about 1/2 inch of each ends, so you will be able to fold them up.
4. Fold up the top and bottom of the tortilla, and then fold up the sides as tightly as you can. Place folded side down on your cookie sheet.
5. Brush the part of the tortilla facing up with the melted butter, or spray liberally with pam. Bake for 20-30 until golden brown
6. Top with sour cream and more salsa if you want. 
Enjoy!!!
Unfortunately, I do not have a picture of this dish...they were eaten in entirety before I thought to get the camera ; )

No comments: