Thursday, March 3, 2011

Cooks and books

So...today is my husband's birthday (happy birthday eric-face!) and much to my son's puzzlement (he keeps asking, "no cake?!") my husband has requested no-bake chocolate cookies instead of a birthday cake. I am sure that most of you have made these one time or another, but I am going to give you my recipe because it consists of all ingredients that most people have in their pantry...so it's good if you ever have a chocolate emergency...(you know, those times that you would kill someone for something chocolate to eat...) and don't want to make a special trip to the store.

No bake chocolate cookies

Ingredients:
2 c. white sugar
3 Tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 c. margarine
1/2 c. milk
1 pinch salt
3 cups quick cooking oats (though I used the regular ones I had on hand without problem)
1/2 c. peanut butter (can use smooth or crunchy)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a saucepan, combine sugar, cocoa, margarine, milk, and salt and bring to boil. Boil ONE minute.
Quickly stir in oats, peanut butter, and vanilla.  Drop onto wax paper and let cool. Chocolate emergency solved.
 Check out the cocoa baby hand print on the table

So...I also wanted to tell those of you with kids about these amazing toddler books by Sandra Boynton.  My mother has bought Gabriel a ton of these things, and not only are they crazy-affordable, he LOVES them. Let's face it...most two and three-year-olds just aren't down for a big long story...I estimate Gabriel's attention span to be maximum two sentences per picture. And these books are great because they're cute as well as short!
 She even got him one personalized (the books are available at target, but you have to order the personalized ones through her website, just search sandra boynton)...check it out, so cute!!
 His name on the left
End of the book, you can put their picture and their name!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You don't top those cookies with powder sugar like your father does?
And I asked him for the recipe like 6 months ago and he said I couldn't have it it was a old family recipe. ThAnks

Leah Beamon said...

those are chocolate crinkles you are talking about earl.......and they are a secret family recipe!!! These are different, chocolately and peanut buttery with oatmeal...and easy, you should try them!

Megan said...

Earl wanted me to tell you they didn't turn out... i guess they never made it past the goo stage. Don't you have to chill them? Maybe he needed more peanut butter...maybe he used melted coco instead of powder...I don't know, but he was sad.