Saturday, March 12, 2011

For Dinner tonight: Mini-meatloaves!

I made these for dinner tonight...and if you keep spices and such stocked in your kitchen, this meal costs less than $10 to make!
Here is what you need:

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 onion, finely chopped (use a food processor if you have one, if you don't, it's ok)
1/3 cup Ketchup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup breadcrumbs (or you can finely crumble Ritz or saltine crackers)
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon fresh or dried oregano (I used fresh because I already happened to have some in my fridge from a recipe earlier last week)
1 egg

Now...if you just read that and are sitting there thinking, "aw man, I have all of that stuff except for oregano and parsley...or no garlic powder" Don't Worry! That stuff gives this a little more flavor, but really if you have onion, ground beef, breadcrumbs or something closely resembling them, ketchup and an egg, you're good.

Okay...first, in a large bowl, combine your ingredients.
This is to give you an idea of how small your onion pieces should be
Ok...this is embarrassing. I am giving you this recipe but I was actually missing one of the ingredients. I THOUGHT I had breadcrumbs but apparently I used them all last week. So I searched my cupboards in a panic to see what I could use...and I found saltines (pictured above). I decided to give them a try and crushed them until they were almost powder...it worked great, but Ritz crackers would probably be even more delicious!


After you have thoroughly mixed your ingredients, shape them into little loaves...you should be able to make around 3-4 depending on how large you want them to be or how many people you have to feed.
See Gabriel's mini-loave? hehe

 Top with slices of mozzarella...or any cheese you want!
"Whatcha makin' mommy?"

Bake at 375 for 45 minutes. I let my cheese get a little too crispy...but they were still delicious.

1 comment:

Alexandra Elizabeth said...

Yummo! Its so funny as a child I hated the thought of meat loaf, but now I love it, its really versatile and yummy. And love the idea of mini meatloaves versus one big blob of meat lol! Gonna make it this week!!