Saturday, June 11, 2011

Make your own chocolate syrup!!

As promised, here is my dad's recipe for chocolate syrup-which I made on Memorial Day to go with our homemade ice cream. It's rich and delicious, and really not hard to make at all. 

                                             Patterson Chocolate "Goo"
Ingredients

2 cups sugar
2 heaping tablespoons cocoa
1 cup water
1/2 cup light corn syrup (it sticks to the measuring cup, so add a little extra to compensate)
1 Teaspoon vanilla


Okay...first, you want to select a heavy saucepan to cook the syrup in. You're first going to mix together your sugar and cocoa.


 Nice and even cocoa and sugar mixture. Next you will add the water and corn syrup.

                                    Multitasking, of course!
                            Bring to a boil on medium to medium-high heat, whisking constantly so it won't burn. Next is the tricky part. You will have to test your syrup on an ice cube (I just put a couple cubes in a cup) to make sure it is the right consistency. I can't believe I forgot to tell my photographer (husband) to take a pic of this part. You drop a bit of syrup off of a spoon onto the ice cube and then move your finger over it to see if it is 'syrupy', meaning it should stay in a clump. You want to start checking for this after boiling about three minutes, and take the syrup off of the burner as soon as it has gotten to this point. Check every minute or so, because you don't want it to get too thick. (And you keep it boiling this whole time as well). Once it passes the ice cube test, it's done!!
 Don't worry, I got my dad's Maine Coon "Master Chief" to babysit Gabriel while I was cooking. This is them just hanging out in the pantry.
 We pour our finished syrup in a measuring cup for easy pouring over ice cream. This syrup will be enough for probably....30 bowls of ice cream. We never run out of the syrup before running out of ice cream.

To check out our family's recipe for homemade vanilla ice cream which I blogged about last week (which goes amazing with this syrup), click here

Special thanks to my Dad!!

No comments: