Friday, October 7, 2011

Beauty Black-listed: The products I've tried and tossed in the trash

Nothing kills me more than buying a beauty product, taking it home-trying it out, and then realizing that I just utterly wasted my money. I typically try to make things work-but some products out there are literally almost unusable.
You do have to take into consideration that what works for some may not work for others, as we all have varying skin types, hair types, and tastes. But that being said, here is my beauty blacklist.

source
Maybelline Colorsensational Lip stain. To be honest, this is the only brand of lip stain that I have tried, so I suppose it's possible that I just don't care for lip stains in general, but I don't think so. The marker-tip applicator flip-flopped between applying too little or not enough color, it was just like when you try to use a marker that has dried out to color a picture, except this was brand new and definitely moist, not dried out. Not to mention, some of the tip flaked off a little on my lips, causing extremely dark spots in some areas. I think I paid about $8 for this, and it was a total waste of money. Also, the color (mine was the third from left in the above pic) was too dark and just not pretty.

source


source
Garnier Fructis...anything. That's right, I said it-anything. Garnier has pulled me in countless times over the years with their commercials promising longer and stronger hair with natural fruit oils, and I have never bought a product of theirs that I have been happy with, or used all of. I have tried their shampoo, conditioner, and shine serum. Deep conditioning mask. Leave-in conditioner. I have recently tried their new 3-minute undo dryness reversal treatment and also hated it and threw it away. This stuff leaves my hair STICKY and hard to manage. The shine serum is greasy. And everything is too strong smelling. Now...if you use Garnier and love it, please don't hate me. I can only use it on my own fine/prone to split ends hair, so I don't know if it works well for those with curly or thick hair.

source

Neutrogena Visibly Even Daily Moisturizer.
 Okay. There is almost nothing more frustrating than doing my research, finding a product with rave reviews, trying it out myself, and HATING IT. Many women really like this stuff. I used it for about a month (because it was about $15) before finally say screwing it and throwing in the trash like I had wanted to do since day 1. This stuff left my skin stinging slightly, flaked under my makeup, and smells nasty. If you have used this and didn't like it, I'd love to hear from you, because right now I feel alone on this one. I'm almost embarrassed to put this one on here because I'm afraid I'm wrong about it...but what can I say-I didn't like it!

Oxy Clinical Clearing Treatment.
I don't have anything personal against this stuff. But up until this month, I had used it for three months, hoping it would help with breakouts, and it just never did. Doesn't work. 

source
Maybelline Coverstick.
This is just not good concealer. Way lighter than it should be. Does not blend well. Doesn't cover well. Settles into lines. Blacklist, blacklist, blacklist.
I swear I don't have a personal vendetta against Maybelline, though this is my second product of theirs on here. I think they have amazing mascaras and eyeshadows, and their new ColorSensational lipstick is pretty nice too. I still love you Maybelline!


source

Physician's Formula green tea tinted moisturizer.
This. is. one. the. worst. stuff. ever. I have used this brand before to satisfaction, but this stuff is absolutely horrible. It smelled bad, felt heavy on but didn't cover anything. Weird color and consistency. I literally only used this twice and then washed it right off in disgust. Ugh.


Covergirl Lip Perfection.
First, I have to tell you that I didn't throw this in the trash. But I do only wear it at home, and only when my husband isn't home-it looks that bad. It does kind of work as a chapstick for moisture so I use it as that. I got it in a coral color, but the color doesn't go on smoothly and is frosty-like something from the 80s. I have heard a lot of complaints about this, so I don't think it's just the color that I got. This lipstick just doesn't look good-but does moisturize well.

source

Organix Brazilian keratin therapy flat iron spray.
You would think this smells all good and coconutty, right? No. It has a strong alcohol smell to it-like cheap hairspray. Made my hair sticky. Not good. I truly trashed this stuff after using it. (I gave it a couple tries first)


Okay. I could probably rack my brain and think of more things from years past, but I am going to cut my hatin' off for now. 

xoxo,

L

7 comments:

A Beautiful Life said...

i have the worst time with concealers, BUT my absolute favorite is Mary Kay concealer. seriously. if you know someone who sells it, have them come over cuz they match it to you, there were 2 ivorys but one was more pink one was too yellow, so it was nice to have someone try it out on me first to make sure which one. totally blendable, long-wearing, amazeballs, love love. well worth the $$!! i'm not sure how much Revlon is, but someone told me they swear by the Revlon PhotoReady concealer, which is obviously in regular stores, so maybe give that one a try! :)
xo
hillary

p.s. i never liked Garnier Fructis anything EITHER, their hair products always left my hair tangly, or feeling dry or stripped or something.

Mary and Dyer said...

I love this post! People are always telling us what they like, but it is good to know products definitely not to try! I am surprised that keratin shampoo treatment isn't great... will def stay away from it!! xox

Tasha said...

love this post, so helpful, great to know what to avoid rather than what to get!

Leah Beamon said...

Thanks for the feedback girls-I was hoping to hear what some of you think about my blacklist, lol. Thank you so much for the concealer tip hillary, I am definitely still searching for the perfect one...I actually know a fellow blogger who sells Mary Kay!
Mary, I didn't try the shampoo-just the flat iron spray...I have heard great things about Organix other products so the shampoo might be worth a try...?

Girls Love Fried Pickles said...

I agree with you on the lipstain. Everyone I have tried leaves my lips dry and flakey. Last week I posted a review and link to a blog site I found called Miss Natty's Beauty Diary (check it out) http://girlslovefriedpickles1.blogspot.com/search/label/beauty

This girl has tried it all. I read a post were she raves about Hard Candy's Camoflauge concealer you buy at Walmart. I haven't tried it yet but its on my to do list. I definatly need a new concealer. Love you blog and I follow everyday.

Cerrisse said...

Good post, I mean it sucks that these products sucked. But at least we know what products are NOT good to buy.

Leah Beamon said...

ohhh thanks! I am getting so excited about these concealer tips. And I am definitely going to check that site out!